Monday, February 15, 2010

Winter in NC??


Normally winter in the south does not involve snow, it doesn't even really involve too much freezing weather even...so for there to be snow in the forecast for last weekend was shocking!

This past weekend it snowed here in Wilmington, not just a dusting of snow but 5 inches of snow! It started Friday night after my parents arrived to spend Valentine's Weekend with us and didn't stop until Saturday morning.

We had just been up in Rhode Island with Pete's family before Christmas and Nina loved playing in all the snow there so I knew that I was in for some work! :) Friday at about 8 pm when the snow started to fall I bundled Nina up and harassed my Father into joining me out in the cold. We put Daisy the Dog on a leash and off we went to check it out. We walked and Nina ran all the way down and around the cul de sac with a quick stop at Bob and Lois' (no trip around the cul de sac is complete without a stop there) Nina was ecstatic with the thought of the fun that was to come, so needless to stay it was so hard to get her to go to bed!

Saturday morning was off to an early start, Nina woke up at 5 am and wanted to go out to play--I took her to potty and let her look out the windows and the front door however I am NOT a morning person so it was back to bed for her for at least another 3 hrs...the snow could wait.

About 9 Nina was back up again and Benton was just finishing up his morning nursing session so it was back to bed for him and a fast warm breakfast for the rest of us before hitting the snow! After breakfast we grabbed the disc that Nancy gave me when she found out that I had never been sledding that I can remember and hit the small hill behind the neighbor's house...

Nina wasn't really into sledding so she promptly moved on to starting a snowball fight...She pegged me, Mom, Dad and Daisy within the first few throws! She was having a blast--squealing and laughing up a storm.

After playing for a bit she was ready to build Frosty, and yet again this is a first for me...we started in the back yard rolling the balls and there is a small incline--but let me tell you, that small incline was kicking my butt!! This was really wet snow, and wet snow is great for snowballs and snowmen but WHOA is it heavy! We made a HUGE snowman and then were promptly put to work trying to find this Frosty accessories...He ended up with one of my sun hats, green leaves for eyes, a baby carrot nose and pine bark for a mouth...he only lasted about 1/2 the day :( much to Nina's dismay
We ended up playing outside for about 2 1/2 hrs before I decided that Nina should go back inside to warm up/get dry--we don't own snowsuits! Since we were out for so long Mom decided that she had enough fun and headed back in to spend time with Benton...when he woke up from his morning snooze she brought him to the door to check out the fun

No comments:

Post a Comment